The Bee called Sarah Kirby-Gonzalez "highly qualified."
"If you believe that teachers need an amplified voice on educational policy on the school board in West Sacramento, then Kirby-Gonzalez is a good choice. Clearly, she is a first-rate teacher, has a nuts-and-bolts understanding of what goes on in the classroom and is passionate about the new Common Core, curriculum changes, teacher mentoring, teacher evaluations, access to basic technology in the classroom and programs for high-achievers (such as GATE). She is part of the Accomplished Teachers Network, which has lobbied at the Capitol on teacher evaluation reform."
Sarah Kirby-Gonzalez teaches in the Folsom-Cordova School District, where she was 2011 Teacher of the Year. Watch here to see how she is making a difference for her students, why she has won the endorsement of teachers, parents and community leaders, and how she'll make a difference on the Washington Unified School Board.
As your school board representative, my goals will be to ensure West Sacramento schools
• Build stronger partnerships with parents and grandparents because family engagement is critical to success in the classroom.
• Provide stronger curriculum, better materials and improved technology our children need to thrive in the classroom, so they graduate with the skills they need to enter college or the workforce and are informed, engaged citizens.
• Continue to raise the quality of what we do, to win back the respect and loyalty of too many families who now send their children outside the district.
• Use your tax dollars most effectively, because our children’s classrooms are the last place where cuts should be made.
• Work with the police and the community to ensure our schools are safe learning communities.
• Provide the highest-quality professional development training possible, because everyone can do better - teachers, administrators, and the district board.